Monday 28 January 2008

Wasting precious time on line? RSS solves that problem

The first time I came across RSS, I thought it was just one more in the huge list of terminology related to computers that you never manage to really understand, but just manipulate. But after watching the video "RSS in Plain English" produced by The Common Craft Show. I can certainly state that the Rich Site Summary is a very useful tool that allows you to use your time effectively, because it tells you when new content has been added to the sites of your interest that you previously selected. It is also of great value in the blogging classroom as it helps you develop scanning sub-skills in your students, avoid the risk of your students feeling overwhelmed with the large quantity of information available, makes them approach the information more critically so that they can decide if something is worth reading or not and consequently favours writing skills as the continuous reading practice exposes them the elements of how on line audience should be addressed. The following article very clearly illustrates the importance of RSS in blogging.
The Technology of Reading and Writing in the Digital Space: Why RSS is crucial for a Blogging Classroom
Do you agree that it is worth using it?

6 comments:

Mary H said...

Hi Consuelo,
I am glad to hear that you found this week's resources useful and understandable. RSS is a really powerful tool for saving time, so I agree that it is worth using. What aggregator would you like to use: Google reader, Pageflakes, or something else? Although I have subscribed to feeds using MyYahoo! for sometime, I think that I may give Google Reader a try.

Keep blogging,
MaryH

Consuelo said...

Hi Mary H

I am gong to use Google reader, but I have not worked out how to add a blog of interest using the orange icon. I have been copying and pasting, which takes more time, I thin.
Have you tried Google Reader yet?

Fabiana Bridi Santos said...

Hi Consuelo,

I agree with you. For me, RSS is worth using because it allows you to easily manage a lot of information.

Personally, I've seen the orange icon before but never understood what it was for - until now. I could have saved a lot of time, right?

Cheers,

Fabiana Bridi

Mary H said...

Hi Consuelo,
In fact, I am trying out Google reader right now, and I have visited your blog to add it! I have been using the orange icon and it is really easy. Have you given it a try?

Yulia Ch said...

Hello,Consuelo!Very clear post. Will you teach me,please, how to make a link just inside a post like you do it. Be grateful.
Yulia
http://trialworld.blogspot.com/

Consuelo said...

Hi Yulia

I'll try tu put it simple. I work on a word document. Write the text and then highlight the word that I want the reader to click. Then I go to insert, then hyperlink. A box opens. At the top appears the word I highlighted (text to display) and at the bottom you fill in the Address space and then click OK. When the text is ready you just copy and paste in your blog post.

I hope it is useful.

Consuelo