Thursday 31 January 2008

About my country

The first time I came to England was about twelve years ago and I remember how uncomfortable for me it was when I mentioned my nationality, because people immediately associated it with narcotrafic. I did not blame them as they only heard of Colombia when there was news about assassinations, bombs and kidnappings among other manifestations of crime. It was very surprising for me when I heard last Monday that a famous singer, who had been in the news for expending huge amounts of money on Cocaine, had been invited to Colombia to see what is the reality behind that fancy drug and there he was reporting his experience in Panorama, a BBC News television programme.

I would like to share with you some positive things about my country. We have the privilege of having two coasts (Caribbean and Pacific) and an island called San Andres. The variety of climates allows us to grow different kind of vegetables, fruits, cereals, coffee, cotton. Most important of all, Colombian people are friendly, outgoing, hardworking, there are a lot of talented artists such as Fernando Botero (sculptor and painter), Juanes and Shakira (pop singers), footballers and writers among others. People who come and visit us have a good time and fall in love with my country.
BubbleShare:

Share photos - Play some Online Games.'>http://

Have you ever experienced bad publicity of your country?

Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

sqpeg said...

Hello Consuelo,
Thanks for your comments.
And when i think of Colombia, the first thing that comes to mind is not drugs, it's Shakira! :)) and juanes, then telenovelas (in romania we have a channel called acasa that broadcasts telenovelas 24/7. some of them are from colombia or star colombian actors.

Hugs from Romania,
Andreea

PS: here's my blog link, which i keep on pasting because i'm having some problems with search engines not finding my blog.
http://squareeducation.blogspot.com/

Mary H said...

Thank you for introducing us to Columbia! The pictures are so inviting, colorful, and energetic! I would love to hear more about the food in Columbia.

Hugs,
MaryH

Consuelo said...

Dear Andreea and Mary,

It is good to know that not all is ignored. It is true that our "telenovelas" (soup operas)are becomming very popular, some of them are really good, they are not only about long, boring love stories. As for food, we are not at all vegetarians. We eat a lot of meat (beef, chicken and pork)mainly, we use a lot of species and some typical food are not for people who are on a diet. But we have the luxury of enjoying natural fruit juices, which is something I miss a lot here in England. Eventhough the weather is hot, we almost always drink soup for lunch.
How about food in your countries?

Patricia said...

Consuelo,
'En todas partes se cuecen habas' my grandma says.
Of course Colombians are very nice people! My favourite aunt was Colombian and she was great. As Andrea I love your soap operas and your music. And even though I couldn't travel to Colombia yet, I know some of it from the videos made by another aunt who spent some holidays there. It's paradise, the landscapes, the sea, the beaches...
Hope some day I can go there.

Pato